Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lollapalooza 2012: Saturday Wrap-Up


The morning was bright and hot again, not giving any hint to what was ahead for the thousands of Lolla-goers on Saturday.
After helping some dear friends move in the morning, I headed downtown to Grant Park.
I stopped by the Sony stage to see Bears in Heaven first, though I'd never heard them before. Their electro-psych tunes intrigued me, and I made a mental note to look up more of their stuff.

I then headed over to the Google Play stage to wait for Chairlift's set.
While I waited, I got to see GIVERS perform, which was tons of fun. That band is a big ball of energy and catchy songs, as you can see below.

That's one of the best parts of music festivals; you get to wander by stages and happen upon new, delicious music. It's like a musical buffet.
The bad thing about buffets though is that I always end up eating too much and feeling vaguely ill.
After so many hours surrounded by loud, drunk crowds in the hot sun, it was kind of a relief to hear that the park was being evacuated because of an impending storm.
Kind of.

Patrick Wimberly of Chairlift was the one to give me the news. He came to the edge of the stage and yelled to everyone in the front that the whole park was being evacuated. I stood in shock for a few seconds, then immediately began speed-walking to the train so I could reach my bike before it started storming in earnest. Despite my speed-walking skills, I still got soaked on my bike ride home. But man, did it feel good to put my feet up and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...