Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Bells Will Be Ringing: Christmas and Holiday Music!



So now that Thanksgiving is over, it is finally time for the one and only seasonal change that affects the music scene.... CHRISTMAS AND HOLIDAY SEASON. I'm a firm believer that this season does not begin until the day after Thanksgiving, though some people like my room-mate Kat think that it begins the day after her birthday in early november. I remain a steadfast believer in the "One Holiday At A Time" rule (a rule that I stole from a Nordstrom's sign posted on Facebook). Anyways... Another thing that I believe in, is that music surpasses all other forms of Holiday Cheer and there is much more variety in the genre than one would think. And that, as there are sub genres in alt., electronic, pop, and rock, there are also sub-genres in Christmas/Holiday Music. These include:
- Vintage/ Old School Classics, anything with Bing Crosby, Franks Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Vince Gauraldi Trio, or any song that has been covered more than 1000 times.
- Holiday Madrigals, because I know I wasn't the only nerd that dressed up in Renaissance gear and sang at country clubs.... or at least I hope! For those new to this sub-sect/cult I would suggest "Boar's Head", "We Wish You A Merry Christmas", or "Personet Hodie" (great latin tune that definitely sets a more sacred mood).

- 80s, Early 90s Holiday, requires an extended Sax Solo, Amy Grant, and or anything similar.

- Boy Band Christmas, including NSYNC, 98ยบ, Backstreet Boys, Boyz II Men, basically anyone other boy group whose perfect harmonies and falsettos are irresistible in Holiday form.

- Crying In Your Car, because I have the change the radio station when the Soldier Story, come on or anything involving a starving child, dying family, pet, etc. comes on.

- Silly and or Naughty Holiday, gotta love "Dominic The Donkey", "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause", "Santa Baby", "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth", etc.
- A Diva Christmas,Whitney, Mariah, Celine, possibly X-Tina.... who am I kidding....

Mariah Carey, "All I Want For Christmas Is You" has it's own category at this point. However I still insist upon Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas album every winter. Luckily now she has Merry Christmas II, that I can use in coordination to satisfy my holiday Mariah fix. She has an awesome R&B duet with John Legend out this winter that I am loving called "When Christmas Comes".

Regardless of whether you love all Holiday music, or only a select sub-genres, you'd be a fool to not immerse yourself unabashedly in the unique spirit that this musical season can bring. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...