Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Still Longing for Sunshine and Short Sleeves? "Get on de Boat."

April 19, Chicago, IL: 36 ̊F; feels like 25 ̊F; 100% chance of rain.

Really? On a day like this in The Windy (Cold, Rainy, Spirit-Wilting, Soul-Taunting, Hope-Smothering) City, it’s hard not to question your choice of latitude. If you can’t migrate closer to the equator, however, I say bring the equator to you.

Recently, I happened to discover “Plantain Coconut Raw Green Bush Tea” by The Republic of Tea, and ever since, it has done at least as much for my psychological health as it has for my physiological fortitude. Just the smell of it is enough to get the “Banana Boat” jingle stuck in my head – a pleasant enough soundtrack if you’re dealing with more of a “Paint it Black” situation weather-wise.




One sip of the subtle coconutty and banana-ish flavors, and I’m transported from the institutional-gray landscape of Chicago to a tropical paradise of the mind where the waves lap lethargically, and I slather on a thick layer of the aforementioned brand of sunscreen given my gloriously intimate proximity to the sun. (Ironically, my mental beach scene is essentially identical to my former desktop background, “Azul”. I wound up changing it, though, since it only served to further fuel my resentment and self-pity and colored my mood “azul” in turn. I’ve since opted for the more ascetic but totally non-threatening “Greenstone”.) Plus, it warms you up on the inside when you’re chilly on the outside!

Green tea also offers some actual nutritional benefits. Apart from being a far healthier staycation beverage choice than your standard calorically dense piña colada or margarita, green tea is packed with antioxidants and plant-based compounds important for disease prevention. Studies have suggested it has the potential to reduce cancer and heart-disease risk, and some research has linked it to improved weight loss.

If you’re desperate for a taste of summer – or at least a momentary respite from a spring that’s more like a killer winter hangover – I absolutely recommend Republic of Tea’s Plantain Coconut deal. Try adding a bit of coconut milk for a richer flavor too, or, hey, stick one of those decorative umbrellas on the lip of your coffee mug. Suspicious-looking coworkers be damned!

Ah, and to those of you fortunate enough to live in more pleasant climes, it’s only out of envy that I’m tempted to suggest you stick this delightful brew where the sun doesn’t shine…but I suppose you’re just perpetually enveloped in UV rays anyway, and such a place exists to you in proverb only, rendering the point entirely lost on you. So instead, to all our STIC readers everywhere – cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...